Sunday, May 29, 2011

When Smoke gets in your Eyes......

Last night I'd done a new entry and, due to a crotchety net connection, I lost a half hour's work before I could save it.  Lesson learned.

MUCH has transpired since I arrived here 72 hours ago (likely THE grandest understatement I will ever make)

Though 'here' is now 'there' due to an Emergency Evacuation today.  Well, not quite.  It was supposed to be....this morning.....then got put on hold until we all finally bugged out to various other locations this evening, where I now AM.  Not entirely sure where....but about an hour South of my previous two night's sleeps  (I did wake up in the same bed this morning though....who knew?)..

There are FIRES here............BIG ones.  Ginourmous really, if you can wrap your brain around the 90,000 acre 'thing' .....check these out (10 is our current issue) :


http://www.industrymailout.com/Industry/View.aspx?id=282464&q=320342392&qz=fd06c3

http://maps.nofc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/cwfisapps/interactivemap/index.phtml


that BIG blob in Northern Alberta, rimmed in pink?  Zoom IN a little.....THAT is where I am .  I've seen it, I've inhaled the smoke and picked the falling ashes out of my hair for the last few days too and I STILL can't wrap my mind around it. I think of the 'fuel' ....lovely trees ....and the wildlife involved and it very nearly makes me sick.  So, I try to not do so..........

I have, literally, landed in The Twilight Zone.  The last few days have been SO far removed from anything even remotely conceivable to me that if I was a Betting Gal I would have bet you a million dollars a mere week (not even actually, I accepted this job last Monday) ago that you were INSANE had you told me any of this would happen.  WOW.

So now, again, I've shifted and am a Refugee of sorts, from a home I was settling quite nicely IN to.  Small, not so posh Camp..........FABULOUS people.  A large extended family of sorts.  There are ever so many stories (like the one that got lost last night) about that place and the people there already.....I have been most fortunate to have landed amongst such a wonderful little group.  We have now been tossed to the winds somewhat.....not sure what happens past this point ? 

I'm now in Posh.  I have a room that's three times the size of my former one, with it's own bath, climate control and in a seriously impressive, much newer and much larger facility.  I don't think I care for it so much though.......it does not FEEL the same and THAT, my Friends, is absolutely Everything really.
I also don't have a job  now until (if) we all get shipped back 'home'..........let's just hope that's SOON, very.  I won't mind at ALL packing up again and bugging right back out of Posh.  Please and Thank You Universe.  I think perhaps, that I won't unpack at all :) 

For now I am just plain ol' tuckered out.  The last 72 hours of my life have been, frankly, bat chit CRAZY.  I've learned a lot about wildfires (!) , people and how very valuable extended Families are for those of us (and if they can find a way to keep me I WILL stay :) that are either forced or choose to earn their livings so very far away from their homes.  It's not about Posh.....that much is obvious.

I'm leaving this wee space for a bit now, to rest and recuperate from this latest Big Adventure (!) and figure out what Plan B is looking like.........then I'll be back to tell some of those stories.  Monster Gophers, Christmas Dinner in May.....SqueeeeEekey Jugs....My Future Husband According to Peggy (aka my son needs a wife !) ...Yummy Medics too  ;)

It's probably All Good.....the people certainly are in any case.....it's just been a tad strange getting there thus far......just a tad............

That's What She Said.......

TTFN

No comments: